Good care is the basis for an optimal result when getting tattoos. A finished tattoo is only the first step, then it’s your turn; you are responsible for the healing. A tattoo is essentially a wound – the skin is injured and needs special attention.
You’re lucky, True Canvas provides your tattoo with a medical film that acts as a second skin to protect tattoo wounds from germs and bacteria and at the same time, is permeable allowing the skin to ‘breathe’. The film assists the skin to heal naturally from the inside out, by locking in the body’s natural fluids and enzymes, which guarantees beautifully healed tattoos.
The thin self-adhesive film provides a moist healing environment during the initial, and most critical, healing stage of a tattoo wound. It protects the new tattoo from friction and provides a waterproof, antibacterial barrier that prevents pathogens and external contaminants from entering the wound. The film is breathable, letting oxygen in and allowing excess moisture vapour to be released from the wound. It’s light to wear, flexible and stretchable which allows it to be placed anywhere on the body and will stay put for up to several days. No more scabbing, no risk of infection, no rubbing clothes or other external factors that will damage the tattoo. Just beautifully healed tattoos like you intended to.
So, what you should do now?
We recommend to leave it on for at least 3 days (7 days maximum). When peeling off, you stretch the film towards the edge, pulling it outward, causing the film to separate from the skin. Please be very gentle pulling it off. Take your time, and remove it under warm water if it’s not coming of easily.
Wash the skin with warm water and PH-neutral soap (you can get it in the pharmacy, well-stocked drugstores or in your tattoo studio) with clean, freshly washed hands. In order for the pores to close, briefly let cold water run over the tattoo to the end of the washing process. Next dry the skin with a clean disposable cloth (kitchen roll = lint-free). Afterwards, apply a thin layer of a Tattoo Aftercare Cream.
Care recommendations for day 8-22
For about 2 weeks after the removal of the bandage, moisturize the tattoo with cream 2-3 times a day.
Do’s and don’t’s…
- No swimming for at least 2 weeks (pool, sea or bath tub)
- 3-4 weeks no sauna sessions or steam baths (a fresh tattoo is a wound)
- Protect it from the sun for at least 2 weeks without using sun protection (stay in the shade)! Use a high sun protection after it is healed to help it stay sharp and strong.
- Wash your hands before touching your tattoo
- Move as little as possible during the first weeks – fun aside: no sport, avoid heavy sweating in the first 2 weeks.
- Use only creams that use natural ingredients. You only need to keep your skin smooth. Apply only thin layers.
- Don’t use medicated creams that are intended for a faster wound healing from the pharmacy. This may be good for a regular injury but in this case it isn’t.
- Do not shave the fresh tattooed area for the next 14 days
- Listen to your artist’s care recommendations!